Wednesday, May 25, 2011

High Rollin'

When Groupon posted a deal to go and see roller derby live and in person, I clicked without thinking. Because it was a no-brainer. I mean, HELLO! Who doesn't want to go see some hardcore super girl power on wheels (and wearing sequined butt shorts)?

I, of course, had to bring The Dynamo and The Spitfire. It's crucial that you indoctrinate them young. Even more important is that you give them phenomenal derby names. Behold, I give you...
She's pretty good at going along with my harebrained antics.
AND...
Her shirt says "Tasmanian Angel." Fitting. Pun only mildly intended.
I, of course, had to go as "Nancy Shrew." This photo of me doesn't do my fabulousness justice (too bad, I looked H-O-T. No, really - I was wearing hot pink legwarmers).



And my dad (Kahuna Kevin) did not get a last-minute-thrown-together shirt like the rest of us. Sorry, Viejo. 
I had no idea he was a Windsor.
Some of my favorite names from the athletes included "Assaulty Cracker," "Shiva Mi Timbers," "Heidi Evidence," "Bo Toxic," "Ryder Hard," and "Maxxi Bad."

Despite having an awesome evening, I was a bit disappointed that the gates didn't open until the time they claimed it would be starting AND we were forced to watch a full hour of kids attempting to roller derby before the actual game (match? pairing?) began. And there was another hour of the women warming up. Once it got going, though, it was awesome! Besides The Dynamo whining incessantly about wanting to leave (probably because I said no to buying popcorn). She was still cute. In a Tasmanian Angel sort of way.


No discussion of the roller derby would be complete without a visual description of the typical audience members. Behold:

The giant bag of popcorn and plate of cheesy nachos were set aside momentarily.
And a few shots from the actual bout (I finally looked it up):

"The Swarm"

Their rivals: the Diego Rollers. Complete with flyswatters (beeswatters?)
The pack and the jammers ready for a jam.
Lead jammer kicking some booty. "Kina Wahine," mother of 3.
And, because it's flippin' adorable:

Loves!

1 comment:

Rhandi said...

Chelsea- I miss you! You, my friend are hilarious! I haven't looked at your blog in ages and I am glad you are posting again. Hard core girls in sparkly butt shorts, good stuff, good stuff!