Monday, June 13, 2011

Cure for the "MOMMY!!!!"s

Summer just isn't the same when you're an adult.

Okay, summer just isn't the same when you're spoiled and live in a Mediterranean climate where it averages over 60 degrees in the winter, but just go with it, will ya?

Ahem. Summer just isn't the same when you're an adult. My February is nearly identical to my July. I still have bills to pay and laundry to fold. And a Urinator to walk [grumble grumble...].

That is, until you have small children who start attending some type of school. In our case, 9 hours of preschool a week. This means that I will now have 9 extra hours each week for the next 12 weeks to fill with things for The Dynamo to do. Easy, right? It's only about 108 hours.

From what I understand, children's attention spans are equivalent to 1 minute for every year old they are. TD is 4 years old. (108x60)/4=1,620 activity switches this summer. No, I'm sorry. ADDITIONAL attention switches this summer.

I was considering investing in a pile of movies, when I realized that having TD watch movies all summer doesn't help me because it will result in a whole lot of "MOMMY! Why is the rat wearing a white hat? MOMMY, what is it? MOMMY! Isn't he going to spill sauce on it? MOMMY, why doesn't he? MOMMY, why is he grabbing the man's hair? MOMMY, why is he so skinny? MOMMY! What's going to happen? MOMMY, that mushroom looks yucky. MOMMY, why did he get zapped by lightening?..."

I'm hyperventilating thinking about it. Give me a minute...








Okay, on to the solution: Our Family Summer Fun List!

TD and I made a list of about 85 things we can do this summer when the whines hit. I'm thinking I'll share it with you, just in case you, too, get hit by a whine wall this summer. Some of these things are specific to the San Diego area (it would be hard to watch a grunion run in Utah), and some of them are specific to our family. And many of them are complete stretches (I can't imagine we'll actually be able to pull off a Cardiff Kook prank at 3 am with a baby in tow). But perhaps you will be inspired.


1 comment:

Salt H2O said...

Preschools have summer break??