Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Therapizing


The past week has been nothing if not intense. The best way I can think to describe it is as a stark reminder of growing older, of being less than perfect, of our mortality. A lot of good has happened and a lot of fun has been had, but I've had a bit of trouble dwelling on those aspects.

I took my 5-hour-long test on Saturday and am relieved that it is over, but feel like throwing up every time I think about having to actually get results. I'll end my discussion of that now.

I've been dealing with The Spitfire having some (possible) health issues, and am on my third trip halfway across the county since Sunday to have tests done on the poor little thing. The tests have included a trip to Children's Hospital, a place that I pray to the Lord Almighty I will never have to check either of my children into. It's an amazing hospital that has done more good than I can fathom, but it's hard to so much as walk in a door without seeing someone's child in a wheelchair, another attached to an oxygen tank, yet another coughing the type of cough that you imagine only happens in another hemisphere.

Today's test was for Cystic Fibrosis (on pediatrician's orders). I am 99% sure that she doesn't have it, but I had a friend pass away from CF in middle school, and her sister is currently on the list for a double lung transplant. That 1% is really starting to wear on me. Tomorrow we're off to see the gastroenterologist down in SD and next week it's the pediatric orthopedic surgeon (hopefully all with good news for us). I thought I'd handle this better, but something about TS desperately clinging to her blanket whenever she so much as smells rubbing alcohol really affects me. I may have cried a little today.

And, although I'm far removed from him, a dear friend's father-in-law died unexpectedly yesterday from an aneurism.

Life is short and completely unpredictable. Hold tight to those you love, and make sure that they know it.



**I promise to post something more lighthearted before the weekend. I just needed to do a little bit of public therapizing.**

3 comments:

Joy said...

I'm sorry to hear about your little one's health problems.

Rhandi said...

Rough week Chelsea, I am sorry you and you and your Spitfire girl are going through all of this. I had to take Cayman for some tests down at the Childrens Hospital in San Diego and it was a very, very hard day. It made me count my blessings and fear for the worst. You are in my prayers!

ChelMo said...

Thank you guys so much! It's been a rough couple of weeks, but everyone's prayers have paid off - she's perfectly healthy!! Happy post coming soon, right after Happy Dance!